Sunday, April 20, 2008

feeling the weight

Being back here and being able to share this experience with my husband has been incredible so far. I feel so grateful to be with the people here whom the Lord has given me a love for. I trust this is for a higher purpose and will have a lasting effect on the rest of our lives together.

It seems to happen often in my life, that when faced with a challenging task I struggle with feelings of feeling completely inadequate and ill-equipped. I feel that I may make terrible mistakes and people will see how truly unqualified I am. I know many people must feel this way about things they have to do that seem overwhelming and beyond what they are capable of and along with that, fearing the failure that comes with not being able to perform as needed.
The work to be done in Humla is what weighs on my mind; seemingly more than I can even hope to do. The thought of researching, training, evaluating and performing work with the ultimate goal(or second ultimate goal- the first being that Jesus is glorified and people come to know Him) of having enough food to eat, is a larger undertaking than I am able to do.

Before we left the States, friends prayed over us and one specifically prayed that God would protect our Hope(thanks Jes!). I realize that all of my hope needs to be in Christ and nothing else. If it is, tasks that seem daunting can be accomplished as we begin to realize that dependence on the Lord and His strength to work through us is essential. Phillipians 2:13 is a reminder of this: for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His pleasure.

Remembering that while I not feel adequate to do the work before me, the God we serve is more than capable of doing it and His strength works in me.

4 comments:

Maria Kristiansen said...

be strong and courageous, don't be terrified, don't be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you may go

Unknown said...

Jodi and Daryl: I have NO DOUBT that God will enable you to accomplish the purposes HE has for your trip to Humla this time! Listen closely to Him. He will impress you with what is most important, and the timeline that will be most effective. I will be praying Phil 4: 4-7 for you - "Don't be anxious about anything, but with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and He will give you a peace that goes beyond all human understanding and will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus." When our strength has reached its limit, His has just begun. Depend on HIS strength! I know you believe that, but sometimes when you're in the middle of a challenging task, it's easy to forget. :) I love you guys, and am praying for you every day. I can hardly wait to hear how God works through you! \mom

Jason said...

May God's Strength and Love shine through you both as you serve. Keep living the Faith with Christ as your focus, you will accomplish all and more! Our weaknesses, God's strength comes through. I will be praying for God to keep you filled with His Spirit. Love you two.

"Lord, continue to strength Daryl and Jodi's marriage and their love for You and each other. Please help them to keep their hearts focused on you and may their love for you be evident to the people around them. Protect them from the enemy Father and keep them standing firm on your Son our foundation. Help them to remain in You! Thank you for their servant's heart. In Christ's Name, Amen"

Bethany Dickinson said...

i feel like i want to be there. but i am so happy that you both have eachother. i am praying for you guys. i don't like the communication silence but i understand, of course. daryl needs to make sure you eat enough ok? i know... love and more love to you both!-lizzie