Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Proposal


We've known for a while that an engagement and marriage between us was inevitable, but the process of getting engaged(and later, married) is a wonderful thing, even when you expect it.

Just so everyone knows, I am marrying an amazing, brilliant and courageous man...who also happens to be my best friend. This is the details of the proposal from my perspective- perhaps my other half will share his later.

On Saturday last week, Daryl had asked if I wanted to go for a date on Tuesday. We haven't really been on any formal dates since we've started dating, so I thought it sounded like a nice idea- even though i'd settle for cleaning a barn with him and be just as happy. Tuesday rolled around, and Daryl seemed a bit distracted and tense. He picked me up from work and we drove out to Prarie Creek Reservoir. This place has meaning for us, since it was where we first knew we were both in love with each other. After parking the car, we walked towards the water, and I saw a little table with wine and food on it sitting there. I thought that another couple had already claimed that spot for their romantic dinner, so I suggested to Daryl that we not go over there. He just kept walking....and as we came closer, I saw his guitar and music on a stand. I then realized that he had set all of this up for me. He asked if he could play me a song that he had written. The song was beautiful- but it couldn't compare with the look of love shining from his face in that moment. It brought tears to my eyes as I realized how much this man loved me, and that I would probably do anything to be able to be with him. The last few words of the song led in to the proposal. He set his guitar down and knelt down in front of me....(I think he took my hand...its all something of a blur). With a look of sincere desperation, he said, "Jodi Lynn Treese, will you please marry me?" The answer I gave is clear, otherwise I wouldn't be writing the story of how we got engaged. I might mention that FEDEX added a twist to our story. The ring was supposed to be delivered earlier, but when it came time for the proposal, it still hadn't arrived. Daryl got a phone call on our way out to the Reservoir that the ring had arrived. His roommate, Danny, broke land speed records and brought it out to where we were, within about 10 minutes of the proposal.
We sat down to eat our first meal as an engaged couple; a meal that Daryl had slaved over, and it was perfect. He even had a bottle of my favorite kind of wine- Blueberry. We spent the evening watching the stars overhead, listening to love songs and talking about how amazing our life together would be.

2 comments:

Beka said...

I'm crazy about that photo...and I enjoy hearing your perspective on things in writing ;)

Edwin Allen Henry said...

Golly. :) I teared up at that story! May God bless you in your new life together (in 39 days...) :)

-Allen Blackwood